Sunday, May 29, 2011

Memorial Day

I will just admit it now, I forgot to mention Memorial Day at our gathering this morning.  It wasn't intentional.  I had it on my mind to speak about.  I was thinking about how thankful I was that my daughter made it back safely from Afghanistan earlier this year.  Well, I added another brick paver to that road that goes no where.  Then again, there are many intentions I have that go undone.  For me it is the power of distraction that is illuminated.  I get distracted and my good intentions turn into vapor that dissipates quickly.
There were many things I didn't remember this morning.  I forgot to remind people that we had prayer stations for them to be prayed with and over.  I forgot as part of our lesson to share a dream I have of a ministry center that fosters a connection space for people.  A place where people have a safe place to come and drink coffee, search the web, have conversations, pray, sit, relax, serve, and well... so many other possibilities.  I forgot my computer this morning.  I forgot to, well, I guess I forgot what else I forgot.

So on this Memorial Day, I am so thankful for the many who have sacrificed and served.  I am proud of my daughter who is part of that group who have willingly put themselves in harms way for the safety of others.  But mostly today, I am overwhelmed by the one who overcame, because he sacrificed all to honor our Father.  We received the benefit of His sacrifice in that we are adopted into the family that is forgiven.  Today and everyday, let's live thankful lives for others who serve, but let's live sacrificially thankful lives for the one who redeemed us!  And while we are at it, let's not forget that!

No comments:

Post a Comment