Tuesday, February 21, 2012

movement

It is at times a difficult task to grow. Growing requires movement. An awareness that we haven't arrived, figured it all out, nor reached perfect maturity can motivate us to continue studying, learning and growing. I have heard it said that a Pastor will travel a thousand miles to speak, but rarely two miles to listen.

I want to be a learner. I want to share wisdom but also to learn wisdom. There are many ways to learn but they aren't easy to come by when our heart and attitude deceive us into a "having arrived" mental state. One our first places of movement has to be humility. In humility we find ourselves able and eager to learn.

The Apostle Paul said, "I want to know Christ and the fellowship of his suffering"... I think scripture lays out his learning experience pretty well. We see his greatness in all he did, but maybe it is really in what he learned. He moved from the arrogance of "Hebrew of Hebrews, tribe of Benjamin, zealous, legalistic righteousness" to "counting it all as garbage for the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord". That is movement!

No comments:

Post a Comment