Wednesday, August 31, 2011

old and new

I wrote about being in Los Angeles last week with my good friend Dr. Al B. Sutton Jr. while he preached.  Today I received a message from a long time friend that he and Dr. Sutton sat together on a flight from New Orleans to Birmingham.  I love when friends of mine connect with each other in odd and strange places.  I love it even more when they really connect and see the strength and gifts in each other.  Though they live over fifteen hundred miles apart, the enjoyed an afternoon of conversation.

Isn't that the way it is with the Kingdom of God.  The world is small and only God is big!  When we open ourselves up to get to know the stranger next to us they may in fact quickly become a friend.  I realize we all like to have quiet moments and to get work done on flights.  I also realize that at times we even sit next to people who don't want to be bothered.  But what a mysterious and beautiful thing to engage another valuable human being in conversation and enrich ourselves with their life.

That was the case today with my two friends who had never met.  They are now aware of each other's ministry and family.  Such a wonderful turn of events.  I am so thankful for the opportunity to embrace new people into our lives.  What blessing are you going to experience by being open to a random conversation?  You never know what connections may occur when you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment